Sunday, March 17, 2013

MOVING DAY

3/15/2013
After arranging for a slip in Long Beach (closer to home) this morning I dropped my jeep off in Long Beach and Hugh (the broker who sold me the boat) drove me up to Redondo Beach and to my new (old) sailboat.   I have to admit that I was apprehensive because today I would solo sail/motor my boat from Redondo Beach to Long Beach.   It had been very foggy in the mornings and afternoons along the coast and this morning was no exception.   I decided to just take one step at a time and after getting the sails on and the anchor (just in case) mounted, I cranked up the diesel engine and headed to the fuel dock.  The fuel gauge read empty and I wanted a few gallons just in case I had to motor.  Wind was light.   It only took a bit more than seven gallons before the 27 gallon tank was full.

This boat has a tiller (which I am excited about) and my last boat (Ericson 29) had a wheel.   As I awkwardly backed out of the fuel dock, I realized that I needed practice on the tiller.  No mishaps though and I was soon headed to sea.   I had purchased and set up a Garmin 740S GPS and I set my first waypoint out beyond the headlands headed south.   I immediately liked the Garmin as the fog was a bit thick.   Immediately after leaving the Redondo Beach Harbor, a small pod of dolphin greeted me and began leaping and frolicking all around my boat.   All of my worries vanished and I knew that I was once again home on the ocean.

L.A. Harbor Entrance


No comments:

Post a Comment