Sunday, March 17, 2013

I BOUGHT IT!

3/13/2013-  After talking to the broker of this boat, I drove up to Redondo Beach and took a closer look at this boat.   One of the things I liked was that it had a keel stepped mast.  It also had a 3/4 length keel.   It was 34 ft long as compared to the 32 ft of the Ericson and it was one of the earliest Islander sailboats produced.   Later Islander became a well known name in cruising sailboats.   The engine was fairly new with only a couple of hundred hours on it.   It also had an electric windless for raising the anchor and at my age (I just turned 68), that is a benefit to me.

I made an offer that was considerably less than the initial asking price and after a bit of adjusting on both of our parts, the sale was made.  I once again, own a sailboat.   For the next two days, I stayed at the boat and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.  As the trash and grime disappeared, I began to finally appreciate this boat of my dreams.  It was sound and some have called it overbuilt.   It could take me far.   I had the boat hauled and surveyed the next day and the survey came out that the boat only needed cosmetics and I had a sound boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment