Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sailing California'a Cape Horn Part 1

6/30/2016-  What is an adventure?   I seem to be getting a small band of friends who question "why?"  I seem to enjoy my sailing adventures.   One such friend told Mary that it must be hard to be married to Indiana Jones.   I admit, while I am out at sea and even getting banged around (Where did that gash in my head come from?) Mary (my amazing wife) is the real one to be praying for and concerned about.        Remember, my boat is called, "Spirit of Adventure."   The name for my boat came to me in 2013 while visiting Disneyland of all places.   We were in the Lincoln Center and a wall was filled with statues of many of the things that make Americans great.    Standing at the wheel of a schooner was a weathered sailor battling the elements.   The title beneath read, Spirit of Adventure.   It was one of the things that make Americans great and instantly became the name of my boat.

In reflecting on "why?",  I have to think about the adventures I have seen in the movies.   It seems that these good looking, young people (yes, girls have adventures also) are somehow drawn to the challenge.   For many it is financial gain or an attempt at fame.
Point Conception Lighthouse
I can think of the great adventure movies that I have seen and reflect on my small attempts at adventure.   Now those who have done these fictitious adventures, usually don't come back rested.   Most of the time I come home completely spent.   At 71 now, I am usually a bit more than spent.   These adventurers on the big screen,  also tend to get beat up.   My boat was tied up in Port San Luis in a calm harbor and as I made ready to go ashore and meet Mary, I cut one of my shins twice and the other one once.   Not deep, but bloody.   Mary almost fainted when she saw my feeble attempt at bandages and blood running down one of my legs.    A true adventure, in my mind must have exhaustion, trials and blood (but not too much of the last).    The other two elements that come to mind now are amazing, unbelievable events and the very strong sense of accomplishment upon completion.    On this last trip, two whales heading north, passed our small boat, heading south, and were no more than 20 feet from the rail of Spirt of Adventure.   As the smooth grey back of the whale surfaced, both Al and I exclaimed that seeing them up close, was worth the whole trip.

I too am drawn first into the idea of the adventure.   These ideas, some would call dreams, have been stored for years. As a young teacher of gifted elementary school children, I would assign them a paper based on them sailing around the world.   Where would they leave from and what ports would they see traveling at about 100 miles a day?   They learned the ocean currents that would speed them up or slow them down.    My first small sailboat followed during those years.

When I ask myself, "Why?"  I am slow to answer, but usually smile and say something like, "Because I can."

No comments:

Post a Comment