Sunday, May 11, 2014

Engine Makeover

When finishing my last trip, I had heard a high pitched whine in my Universal M-25 diesel engine.   After I had rested and cleaned up the boat, I turned my attention to my engine and was shocked to find that the front part of the engine had turned black.  I feared I had roasted my engine and that I was in for some serious repairs.  
YIKES! What have I done now?

Now, I am fairly competent with normal gasoline engines and at one time I had torn our trusty VW engine apart all the way to splitting the case.   I somehow got it all back together and it ran.

With diesel engines, I somehow had lost my confidence and this brings in my new best friend, Hobie.   I called another person who had worked on my boat and was very reasonable and asked him for a reliable diesel mechanic.   He gave me Hobie's name and number and within a few days Hobie was at my boat.

As we talked, Hobie said something that I couldn't believe.  He told me that I had helped students of mine for my whole career and that he was going to help me out and that it wouldn't cost me a lot of money.  Hobie explained that my engine didn't show signs of major damage and that the black was just from the belt that was seriously worn.  The high pitched whine was from a small temperature sensor that could easily be replaced.   He also has had off shore experience and when he found that I wanted to go off shore, he told me he would make me a list of all of the things I should do, not only to the engine, but to my electrical and some other systems in my boat.   He told me how to clean the engine (a product called 4U and water) and he wanted me to not only replace the worn belt but to replace all of the hoses on the engine.  

Within a couple of days, he sent me a detailed list of all I should be thinking about
Looking much better now.
doing before heading out and the names of places and people that would inspect/clean some vital equipment (injectors & heat exchanger) on my engine.   He also told me how to avoid the expensive marine supply prices and go directly to an automotive parts house for some of what I need.  He stressed me doing the work and that if I get into trouble, he would help me whenever I needed it.

What a total blessing it was to find Hobie and even though he has not asked for one cent, I will pay him and thank him for allowing me to have the confidence to learn my engine by doing.   THANK YOU HOBIE!                                       
Whew!
                                              

1 comment:

  1. Could you post Hobie's number? I used him to help me rebuild a few years ago, and want to pass his number to a friend.

    ReplyDelete