Friday, August 2, 2013

Departure nears...

August 2, 2013

Wow, where to begin.   Over the last month, Mary and I have hosted both of our grand-daughters here in CA for just shy of three weeks.   We sure love them both.   Christian, the younger of the two (15) came down to the boat and helped me install some neat forest green carpet under the table and on some shelves in the v-birth area.   It really was a two person job and turned out great.  

The bow rail was broken and just floating around.  It has now been welded.
Over the last week some other accomplishments have helped make the Spirit of Adventure more ready to face the open ocean.   This next Tuesday, my sis, who loves sailing as much as I do will fly into Orange County and after stocking the food for our trip we will head out to Santa Cruz Island in the Channel Islands.  We will probably visit at least one other island.   We will be gone 7-8 days and it should be a great shake down cruise for the boat.

These are some pics of some of the things that have happened since the last update.

                                     
The new Dorade vent
Note the 1972 Islander insignia.
  There are so many other things like... buying a 6HP outboard for the inflatable, a whisker pole (which keeps the head sail out when going down wind), all new standing rigging (what holds the mast up), new life-lines,  the purchase of two personal floatation devices (PFD's) with built in harnesses.   I have also done an inventory on how much rope & chain I have for anchoring.   I marked the rope at 100' intervals.   I just purchased two new winches as one of the old ones (1972) was frozen and would not work.   I also just finished installing the new Garmin GPS/Chartplotter.   I had fun sanding and painting the transom (back) of the boat which took off the old name.   Tomorrow, with the help of a friend, I will attempt to install the Monitor Wind Vane.   More pics to follow.               


No comments:

Post a Comment